Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Our $10 Dresser

About a month ago, Tony and I found this midcentury-modern dresser at a neighbor's moving sale for $10.  I didn't think much of it at first, but Tony loves that style of furniture, and it was such a steal! We couldn't resist.  


Per usual, I turned to google for inspiration on what to do with it, and I found this picture.  Love!!


source

We have loads of white paint leftover from other projects, so all we had to buy was some primer and some dark stain for the drawers and legs.  There were also a few spots where Tony had to use wood putty and do some heavy sanding.

I love how it turned out, but once we brought it into the house and out of the dimly-lit garage, it was obvious that the drawers still need more sanding and stain.  They're not quite dark enough for my taste!


But let's be honest... it will probably stay just like this!

The dresser lives in what we call the "guitar room" right now, which was actually intended as the formal dining room.  I'd love to put a rug underneath it at some point, just to add some contrast between the legs and the floor.  Maybe some faux fur?  And we're still deciding what to put on top of it.

I'm thinking maybe a vintage globe?

source
 Some faux antlers?

source

We also plan to do a gallery of frames covering most of the wall above the dresser.

How would you decorate this dresser?

P.S. Tony thinks it's a great idea to place this giant, creepy head on top of the dresser!


I said absolutely not!  He thinks it's funny to place this hideous thing all over our house.  First it was in our kitchen, then it was in our master bathroom, and now he thinks it's going to reside on the dresser, front and center.  And clearly from this photo, Chloe loves Mr. Head so I'm starting to worry that I'm outnumbered!

A little back-story on Mr. Head:  Tony found it years ago at some estate sale.  Apparently a high-school student made it in art class, and it's supposed to be a character from the 1970's tv show "Kung Fu".  *sigh*  If only Tony had never gone to that estate sale that day....

xo,
Rachael

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I really liked it until I compared it to the inspiration photo. Now it's making me wish we went with a different color stain. We used "ebony" which you'd think would be super dark. I don't really like how it sort of blends in with the floor. But oh well, if I'm feeling productive one of these days then I'll try to fix it! Lol.

      Delete
  2. loving it!! the white makes it POP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put a plant next to the head and then just go water your plant & maybe an accident will happen... Make sure you use up all the glue in the house first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday I told him I was afraid something might happen while I was dusting near the head...which is hilarious because, c'mon, I don't dust. Using up all the glue is a great idea... I like the way you think!

      Delete
  4. I saw this on IG, but it's so beautiful! Well done, you! (And Tony!) I need you to come out to NJ and go yard sale-ing with my. And Christina. I just don't have an eye for things like that.

    Mr. Head is creeping me out but I can't stop laughing over Chloe smooching him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes you definitely should go yard-saling, even though it's mostly people's junk. :) Every once in awhile you'll find something awesome! I have to say, your comment is so mysterious!! "I'll have to come to NJ and go yard-saling with my"... Your what?? Your hubs? Your cat? Your great-uncle Francis? I must know!!!

      Delete
  5. Such a great find!! I love midcentury modern furniture...so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it really was an awesome find. :)

      Delete
  6. How about a big mirror and globe shaped chandelier above it?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and promise to reply!